新着情報

スタッフブログ 時計台通信

本日の時計台

HISTORY

The development of Sapporo as the capital of Hokkaido began in 1869, with the help of many foreign experts, engineers and educators. "The Clock Tower" was built in 1878 and is therefore regarded as both a historical and cultural symbol of Sapporo. The Clock Tower was originally called "Embujo" - meaning a 'military drill hall' - and served as a drill hall for the Sapporo Agricultural College (currently Hokkaido University), which was the first institution for Agricultural Studies in Japan.

Dr. William S. Clark, President of Massachusetts Agricultural College, was invited as the first vice-president of the Sapporo Agricultural College. During his tenure, he designed the curriculum with military training, similar to that of MAC. Professor William Wheeler took over after Dr. Clark and planned to build a military drill hall, which was later called the Clock Tower. It is said that Governor Kiyotaka Kuroda of the Hokkaido Development Commission proposed renovating the tower by installing a large clock, which was manufactured and purchased from the E. Howard Watch & Clock Co. of Boston, Massachusetts. The construction of this new addition was completed in 1881.

The simple and practical features of the Clock Tower's wooden structure are typical of American houses found in the Mid-west and West during its colonization. Rooms on the first floor were used as laboratories, lecture rooms, and exhibition space for zoological, botanical, and mineralogical specimens. The second floor was used for physical education training as well as a ceremony hall.

The Clock Tower was designated as a National Important Cultural Property in 1970 and is now a museum that is also used for various cultural activities. The Clock Tower continues to serve as a historical landmark, telling stories of early days in Sapporo.

Address

North1,West2,Chuo-ku,Sapporo,Hokkaido 060-0001

Telephone:+81-11-231-0838,+81-11-231-0804

Facsimile:+81-11-231-0804

Transportation

  • 10 minutes on foot from JR Sapporo Station Southern entrance.
  • 5 min walk from Odori Station, exit number 7.

Closed

  • Jan1-3/2017

Open

8:45〜17:10 (Admission until 10minutes before closing)

Admission Fee

Adult Individual 200yen
Children
(Younger than those in high school)
Free
Adult Group
(Group : More than 20 people)
180yen

Parking

Sorry, no parking.
(You can use the city office parking for free on Saturday, Sunday, and a public holiday. However, you are not allowed to use it during some city events.)

Wheelchair Access

with an exclusive lift.

Other

  • A restroom is outside of the building.
  • There is no equipment which keeps luggage such as a coin-operated locker.
  • Eating and drinking are not allowed inside of the building.
  • There are no vending machines in the building.
  • A shop for visitors is in the building.